RSS

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Who put that food on your plate?

Just watched, and enjoyed, Food Inc.  Thought it was a rather well done film.  I've seen some that really ignored or twisted facts, but this one seemed pretty balanced.  Well, apparently Monsanto declined being interviewed so we didn't exactly get to see things from their point of view.  {wink}

Here's a nice list I found of environmental and food related films to look out for if you liked what you saw in Food Inc.

I have to say that although I agreed with mostly everything in Food Inc, and none of the information was really new to me... I was convicted.  More importantly, Bobby was convicted!  We had quite a hard time sitting down to a Tyson roast chicken afterward.  We managed with prayer and thanksgiving.

Meat has been the one product we hadn't really looked into yet (knowing what we would find and knowing we can only take baby steps right now).  I think I can safely say we will be shopping at family friendly farms from now on.  (Joel Salatin's "Pigness of the pig" cracked us up!  We agree with Salatin's idea of a pig's primary purpose - rooting/composting - but we take it further and say that Yahweh never intended it for food!)  I'm pleased to have turned up so many local options with just a quick search.  We'll be checked into these nearby farms in the next few weeks for beef, poultry and milk (for the 2-3 months our goats are dry):
Franciscan Family Farms
Family Friendly Farm
Hoye Brothers Farm

And we're seriously looking into acquiring a family milk cow.

3 comments:

Trish said...

I posted a comment but it didn't post...urgh...

Anyway I think supporting our local farms is one of the best things we can do next to raising the animals ourselves I hope to buy a large freezer and stock it. I was very fond of the Elk we purchased locally it was so lean! The animals are free range and hormone/abt free
Didn't the part in the movie where they showed the cattle yards make you wanna cry? Now I am no wussy person, if it has to be done in practicallity I am usually ok with a process but the example of how they were treated was just cruel!

Unknown said...

Yes! I nearly burst into tears when they shoved that cow with the forklift!

Trish said...

oh that was bad! I was shocked at the lack of respect for life, I get that the animals are for food but they are living creatures!! I suppose it's niave to be surprized at the way animals are treated when abortion is legal. I was shocked all the same. :(