RSS

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My very first car accident

After nearly 12 years behind the wheel without a ticket (though that policeman should have written me one for going 45 in a 35 when he stopped me this summer) or a mishap, I had my first car accident today.  Gosh, I feel awful about it!   I scratched a lady's bumper in the grocery store parking lot.  Don't laugh!  I felt sick to my stomach as soon as I realized what that sound was! A man saw me do it and the look on his face was dreadful... he was ready to chase me down, I think, though I was only pulling around to park the van again, so I could check out the damage and wait for the owner.  She came out as I was pulling up and he was so happy to tell her, with dirty looks and wild hand gestures, what I had done. 

With a quick prayer I climbed meekly out of the van.  The owner was pretty upset.  There's nothing like the glare of an older woman! Why is everyone so ready to get all irrate at people? We had to go in the store to call the police to file a report and so I had to unload all the kids again... she softened a little at that point, I think. I was meek and sooo apologetic and made friendly conversation. Why did I have to scratch a nice car? Why couldn't it have been one of the old beat-up wagons or trucks, whose owner wouldn't have cared?  Oh well. It was humbling.  I think she forgives me, but I'll always feel soooooo wretched, remembering the look on her face and the face of that man.  I think I'll find out where she lives and we'll bake her some cookies or bread or something.

From now on, if I ever leave the house by vehicle again, I'm parking my '94 Chevy Beast on the outskirts of the lot.

2 comments:

Trish said...

Aw that really stinks! I can just imagine how you feel! You have to give yourself a little credit...it was a very minor accident, no one was hurt, and if you bake that lady cookies she'll probably be your friend!

Unknown said...

I should say about 14 years behind the wheel, counting my permit, which I got around 16yrs. At any rate... if you also take into consideration that I've been driving full size vans for years now, it's a pretty good record!