RSS

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Backyard Book Burning

Had another little book burning today. Have you ever done this? Since I first committed myself to Yahweh I have burned many books, among other things. This may sound radical to some of you.

I remember the first time.  I stood in my yard, burning my vampire related role-playing-game books in my back yard BBQ grill. They were worth a good deal of money and I had several acquaintances that would have taken them off my hands, but I felt they had to burn. Conviction about the RPGs was the second most prominent in my life when I surrendered my life and said, "Not my will, but yours," (the first was fornication). I believed then, and feel even more strongly about it today, that the escapist aspect of such RPGs as well as the occult nature of the ones I played in particular, are detrimental. Especially to teens. I've been there, I've had friends there, I know. Although not about to go out and set fire to every copy of every RPG book I could find, my conscience wouldn't allow me to let these copies into the hands of anyone else to do any more damage, so they burned. Poorly, I might add. Took quite a bit of page-tearing and stirring.

If we receive children’s books, as we often do by the box, from acquaintances or what have you, I usually pre-read them for my children (voracious readers, those who are able). Farra is getting old enough for me to let her read some things without my pre-reading. Usually I’m somewhat familiar with the story (classics - like Swiss Family Robinson, which she just finished), or if we’ve read and enjoyed other things by the same author. We talk about what she reads and so far it’s been a good situation and stimulated great conversations.

We burned most of the last box we got. I remembered most of them from my childhood. I read TONS of books as a child, with no screening whatsoever. Some simply poorly written twaddle, some about brats disrespecting parents, boy-girl crushes, that sort of thing. I keep a close eye out for “follow your heart, be good to yourself” kind of “inspirational” junk, too.

Before you go thinking we’re entirely rigid, I’ll let you know that we all love the Chronicles of Narnia. I understand the camp is clearly divided regarding these books, but I personally think Lewis does a fine job of introducing morals, faith and responsibilities in a good light, even if he uses fantasy. I don’t mind the works of Tolkien, either. I don’t care for any of the movies, however, with all their made-up love interest garbage. Besides, they just don’t fully capture those qualities listed above that I find in the pages of the books. That said, I wouldn’t necessarily recommend them. There are much better books out there without having to wade through satyrs, witches, goblins and gollums. I just happened to have a fondness of them from my own youth and maybe I’m justifying that when I shouldn’t. At any rate...

I don’t approve of Harry Potter and that’s a whole other story! I’ll spare you my opinion on that point unless asked .(Surprised?  I give it so freely on other issues!  Time doens't allow me today, you see.)

My younger sister spent more time than I did reading classics during her teen and pre-teen years. When I was in the fifth grade I devoured my first Stephen King book (I think my brother was about that age when he began reading them), “Pet Cemetery,” and from there I was hooked. Within a couple years I had read all of the King books at the library and moved onto other horror/suspense authors. I cringe to admit that I read my share of romance novels, as well, them being so plentiful and easy to get my hands on. Yeah, I read Shakespeare and some other classic stuff, which really impressed the adults in my life, but mostly I ate up the juicy trash, spending so many sleepless nights (and days, as I was no longer in public school and had little else to do) receiving an education in drugs, murder, torture, aliens, theft, sex, the occult, what the world calls “love,” and goodness knows what else. I burned some of those books later, too.

I don’t read much fiction anymore. It’s a wonder I find time to read at all! On my nightstand and in the bathroom are stacks of books, mostly “how-to” books, homesteading stuff, and from time to time a “Christian living” book (most of them make me nauseous, but there are a few gems). I think I read more children’s books than anything! Over the years I’ve picked up a few titles I recognized as being considered classics, or a new book by a familiar, loved author, and Id take a chance. Usually I read it when I have a new baby and have to stay in bed anyway.

Last week I made what, for me, was a terrible mistake. I started one of these “classics.” I couldn’t put it down. I had this gnawing sense that I should. I pushed that feeling aside. Though I did learn some interesting history from an angle I’d never considered, the history was NOT the main thrust of the story and I just HAD to find out what happened to the characters and can’t you kids go play by yourselves for a little while and make yourselves some sandwiches for lunch and I guess the garden can wait and Bobby, why do you laugh at me like that when you see me with my nose in this book again? Uggggghhhh! I feel so dreadful! Spare me having to tell you the name of the book, but it was a long one and has a sequel just as long and I finished the first today and burned them both a couple hours ago without reading a page of the second, repenting, in tears, to Yahweh and my family, for spending so many hours this past week with fictional characters in a trashy novel instead of them.

My point is this: Just because it’s a classic, doesn’t mean it’s worth your time. Be careful what you read and why. This goes for “Christian living” literature, too, for that matter.

0 comments: