RSS

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Summer

It's not officially summer yet, but the summer heat is settling in, here in southeast Missouri.

Things I dislike about summer:

Heat and humidity so high that your clothes constantly stick to you and it makes you too lethargic to do anything not related to cool water. And weeding the garden. And bugs. Especially seed ticks and mosquitoes. And people appearing in public with as much skin showing as possible.


Things I like about summer:

Plants a' growin', making a rich, luscious landscape, pleasant to the eyes, especially contrasting a bright blue sky with fluffy clouds, or a dark stormy one (oh, I love those storms!). Plants, feeding my family and feeding my critters which feeds my family, keeping us pleasantly (and sometimes not-so-pleasantly, admittedly) busy.

Birds singing, even at 5 o'clock in the morning. Especially after seven or eight in the evening when I'm winding down from my day's work and I can sit on the deck and listen to my wood thrushes (I'm sure my Father made them just for me, I love them so) and take in the cool(er) evening air.

Daylight. In the winter time it seems unreal to think of daylight lasting from about 5am to 9pm and I fear that when I have it I take it for granted, missing the sun terribly when it's dreary and grey out.

Not having to bundle up to go outside. Or in the house. The winter coats, hats, mittens, gloves, scarves and boots that clutter up our entry way all get put away and are replaced by "creek clothes" and towels hanging on the deck rail.

Mowing. I like to mow. Don't get to do much of it now, because we tie the cow out and she does a mighty fine job (if you don't mind cow pats in the yard, which I don't).

Water... ahh... my favorite. I so love water. I love to stand in the garden and gulp down cool water. I love to trip over to the spigot and let the cold well water splash over my hands, arms, face, or use the hose if I'm in the garden, watering anyway. You just can't beat our sweet well water! I love to sit in the creek and cool off with the children. The older three have been privileged this year with being able to swim in the pool at the bottom of the falls by themselves. It's not even up to the youngest head among them, but it's deep enough to swim and splash and play "Milo and Otis" (their version of the "Marco Polo" of my childhood). They spend an hour or two down there nearly every afternoon and almost all day on Sabbaths in nice weather. I can hear them playing, though I can't see them unless I walk down there, and they can hear me when I whistle for them and promptly reply with a loud, "COMMIIING!" Sometimes I sit on the rocks and watch them play and I just ooze contentment. I am so incredibly thankful for this creek, this property, and we never enjoy it like we do when the weather warms up.

I love having the windows open every day, fresh air circulating the house with ceiling fans and sometimes a box fan and/or the attic fan. No AC for us.

Kid goats born in the spring are still jumping and playing with each other as they follow their mommas around. Any day now we'll have a calf to add to the mix. All this also means gallons of fresh milk a day for gulping down ice cold, cheese making, and ice cream.

Work. Good, physical work for the kids and I that make us sleep so well at night and keep us healthy. Paying work for Bobby that is often scarce in winter when things slow down (drat Christmas).

Good times and noodle salad.  (Name that movie!)

....  I guess summer's not too bad...

Etc., etc....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dare I be the one? "As Good as it Gets" Hey, at least we both saw it at the same place right? Bad movie, good line... seems to be the way with most of them doesn't it? :)
Gal

Trish said...

I love summer, but thankfully mine isn't as busy as yours right now. we've had a lot of leisurely days in the warm sunshine