RSS

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Jesus made a new commandment?

The following was posted over at Standing At The Crossroads, a blog I like to read from time to time.  Gail shares some interesting things.
----------------------------------------
Has anyone else puzzled over this passage?

John 13: 34"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

After all , we know Torah says do not add to or take away from the commandments of YHVH. And Deut. 13 tells us not to listen to a false prophet. So what's up?

For me, the answer came when I looked up the Greek word in that John passage for "new". Then it began to make sense. The word for "new" in that passage is *kainos* #2537 : new (especially in freshness). It's the same word as in 1 Cor. 11:25 "new" covenant.

It has the meaning of RE-newed, like the moon renews itself every month. To denote respect to age (brand new), there is another Greek word, *neos*, #3501, which is not used in either of those places.

So if it's a renewed command, that implies that there was an original command, right?

Leviticus 19:17 " 'Do not hate your brother in your heart. Rebuke your neighbor frankly so you will not share in his guilt.

18 " 'Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.

***************

As the Living Torah, Yahshua is re-affirming and bringing even more understanding to the written Torah! He is defining how this love will look - it will look like how He loved us! And He is making it a criteria for discipleship to Him. And that provides great harmony between the Torah and the gospel of John!

I hope this blesses you as much as it blessed me!


Gail
-------------------------------------------
Well put, Gail!  Thanks!

1 comments:

Trish said...

very good thoughts! I will be sure to check in on this blog :)